Maharajas Express: 20 Exclusive Features
Sep 17, 2012
“Why to consider luxury train journey over a five star hotel stay?” This is one of the most common questions that often strike the mind of the travelers while contemplating for a luxury train journey. The luxury Indian train Maharajas’ Express – run by the Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) probably can answer this question. In March 2010, the Indian travel industry entered into a new era with the launch of Maharajas’ Express. Owing to its spectacular amenities and well designed itineraries, the Society of International Railway Travelers named this luxury train in the list of world’s Top 25 Trains. The on board accommodation, dining facilities, avant-garde amenities, off-train excursions and hospitality measures of this luxury train stole the limelight even in the international travel market. The following are the top 20 features that set apart Maharajas’ Express from other luxury trains of the world-
1. Presidential Suite- One and the first of its kind in the world, Maharajas’ Express’ grand Presidential Suite spans over an entire carriage. For those who believe in living life ‘king size’, this royal suite can be an ideal match. No less than a five star hotel room, this 448 sq. ft. accommodation houses two bedrooms, two modern attached bathrooms with a bathtub in one and a living cum dining room.
2. Accommodation- The accommodation is divided into four categories - Deluxe Cabin, Junior Suite, Suite and Presidential Suite. This offers the travelers the liberty to choose their accommodation according to their own preference.
3. Dining- It’s rightly said that our stomach paves the way to our heart and Maharajas’ Express fine cuisines served in a welcoming ambience will surely make you fall in love with the train. In its two imperial restaurants- Mayur Mahal and Rang Mahal, traditionally attired stewards serve foods of your choice in the warmest of manner.
4.Gold Plated Platters- To make you feel like a true King or Queen, you would be served food in gold plated platters.
5. Bar- The on board Safari bar serves the guests the choicest of wines, spirits and beer. The bar-cum-lounge Rajah Club gives travelers the opportunity to interact with the fellow travelers or to relax out of the privacy of their rooms.
6. Boutique- The train houses a boutique – the Treasure Chest from where guests can buy exclusive handicraft items, decorative goods and other accessories.
7. Onboard Recreation- The train also offers on board recreational facilities. If you want you can enjoy various indoor games like carom, cards etc. on board. The bar-cum-lounge Rajah Club is a great place to enjoy such recreational activities.
8. Five Exclusive Itineraries- It is one of the few luxury trains in the world that offers 5 separate tour itineraries while each offering a different experience of holidaying in India. The 5 newly introduced itineraries are - Gems of India, Treasures of India, Indian Panorama, Indian Splendour and Heritage of India.
9. Adventure- All the five new itineraries of Maharajas’ Express offer jungle safari in Ranthambore National Park. The safari has been introduced to cater to the taste of adventure enthusiasts and to add a pinch of thrill & adventure to this royal holiday experience.
10. Off-Train Excursions- The exclusivity of the train also lies in its off-train excursions. The prime highlights of this include – jungle safari in Ranthambore, visit to Seventh Wonder of the World - Taj Mahal, Champaign evening at Taj Khema overlooking Taj Mahal, cultural evening on the sand dunes of Bikaner accompanied by sundowner cocktail and barbeque, a visit to the sensuous Khajuraho Group of Temples and to the ancient caves of Ajanta, not to forget the royal lunch at Amber Fort in Jaipur.
11. Charters- If you are planning for an exclusive event or grand corporate get-together, you can organize the same in this luxurious train. The train can be chartered by agencies, corporate organizations and individuals.
12. Hospitality- Since time immemorial, India is known for its rich hospitality traditions and the train crew lives up to this. The crew is well versed and well trained to handle any situation and to serve the guests in the best manner possible. They direct their endeavor not only towards satisfying your needs, but anticipating them.
13. Internet Access- In this modern world, everyone wants to stay connected with the world; thus to meet this need, the train introduced high-speed internet facility on board.
14. Security Measures- Along with luxury, the security measures are also been considered. CCTV cameras are placed in all the public places on board the train so that any unforeseen situation can be avoided. Moreover, all the cabins are equipped with electronic safe.
15. Butler Service- To offer warmest of care and hospitality on board, the train has a dedicated team of butlers who attend to the needs of the guests. Each cabin is managed by a single butler who offers round the clock service to the guests.
16. Expert Tour Directors- The train has concierge services where expert tour directors offer you an insight view of Indian lifestyle, culture and traditions.
17. Doctor on Call- To handle all medical emergencies with an expert hand, the train offers round the clock service of a paramedic on board.
18. Pneumatic Suspension System- The train has made use of the most modern technology. To make the journey all the more comfortable and as seamless as possible, pneumatic suspension system is being used. This prevents jerks that passengers otherwise experience in a train journey.
19. Special Journeys- The Maharajas’ Express also runs special seasonal journeys during festive time. It is advisable to book the journey well in advance so that last minute rush can be avoided.
20. Individual Temperature Control- Each of Maharajas’ Express cabins has an individual temperature control system, which is the first of its kind in any luxury train in India.
Though these are just 20 features of Maharajas Express, these justify well why it’s been considered one of the finest train journeys in the world. Thus, it is not an overstatement if one says that it is the ultimate way to explore the amazing diversity of India amid absolute luxury and lavishness.