Here at tripatlas.com/new, we know that skiing and snowboarding doesn’t come cheap.
So instead of putting away your skis for the winter – here are some great ideas for a winter ski or snowboard holiday in Aspen, Colorado on a budget – and yes, it’s possible!
Don’t miss out on our Tips on Planning a Budget Ski or Snowboard Holiday for more great advice!
Where to stay in Aspen on a budget
Without compromising charm and character, many Aspen hotels offer affordable rates with proximity to Aspen’s dining, shopping and attractions. For the best deals and last-minute prices, go to: www.stayaspensnowmass.com .
For the most affordable rates in Aspen, the top three accommodation options are: Aspen Mountain Lodge (www.aspenmountainlodge.com); Inn at Aspen (www.innnataspen.com); and St. Moritz Lodge and Condominium offering both private and shared rooms (www.stmoritzlodge.com).
Eating out or dining in Aspen on a budget
One of the best ways to experience the best of Aspen’s dining scene without putting a hole into your wallet – is by sitting at the bar. Nearly every Aspen restaurant offers a “bar menu,” which allows you to sample fabulous food for a fraction of the cost – great value for food portions in a more relaxed and informal setting.
Some of Aspen’s top bar menu joints are: L’Hostaria, Ajax Tavern, and Elevation. Pinons offers a $35 prix fixe two-course dinner menu. Be sure to hit up Jimmy’s for the “Jimmy Mac” – macaroni and cheese with jalapenos and bacon, a local favourite.
Happy hour goes from anywhere from 3 to 6:30pm daily with $4 shots or beer, appetizers, and $7 gourmet pizzas at places like Little Annie’s or Mezzaluna.
Apres-ski fun in Aspen on a budget
From community events to other non-ski related activities, there’s something for all budgets in Aspen. For something a little warmer, head to the Red Brick Climbing Wall for some indoor mountain climbing. If you’re feeling tense, you can head to the Sundeck Restaurant and Lodge on Aspen Mountain for a quick $10 neck and back massage.
Get romantic and go ice skating outdoors at Silver Circle ice rink which costs $2-4/person. In the Aspen Highlands, you can visit the Aspen Recreation Center which offers an ice rink, aquatic area and a two-storey waterslide at $13-15/day. Finally, don’t miss out on the Popcorn Wagon for a late-night snack or pick-me-up selling popcorn at $1.50/bag, hot crepes & sandwiches for $3.50 and hot dogs/sausages for $3.75.
Ski or snowboard in Aspen on a budget
One of the best ways to save on skiing and snowboarding in Aspen is to check Aspen’s ski resorts’ websites before leaving home to look for any online deals for lift tickets, rentals, and etc. Also check with your hotel’s concierge for any coupons. Family or group rates are often cheaper than buying lift tickets individually.
Take advantage of these free offers in Aspen all season long
When you’re out on the ski hills, be sure to take advantage of these free offers, especially if you’re visiting Aspen on a budget!
- Free transportation to/from all four mountains in the Aspen/Snowmass area are available daily and arrive/depart from each stop every 15 minutes at all times of the day.
- At the base of all four mountains, Green Mountain Coffee offers free coffee to skiers and snowboarders. When you’re on-the-mountain, you can get free water, apple cider, and sunscreen.
- From 4-5pm on Mondays, you can go for a sing-along and storytelling at the campfire at Pokolodi Lodge in Snowmass for free entertainment, hot chocolate, and roasted marshmallows.
- Don’t like to lug your gear around? When you rent gear from Four Mountain Sports or D&E Ski and Snowboard shop, your gear can be transferred between any of the four mountains for you for free.
- Throughout the winter ski season, be sure to check out the Bud Light Hi-Fi Concert Series for free entertainment on weekends and holidays in Aspen/Snowmass.
For more on visiting the Aspen/Snowmass, go to: www.aspensnowmass.com.
Looking to book a budget ski vacation? Check out the tripatlas.com/new Trip Builder where you can talk to hundreds of local travel agents ready to give you the best custom prices on your trip!