Reminder to Canadian and U.S. Travellers: Jan 31st is ID Day!

US PassportThis is just a reminder to all Canadian and U.S. citizens that new requirements for crossing in and out of the U.S. will be in place beginning January 31st 2008.

In the past, U.S. and Canadian citizens were permitted entry into the U.S. by oral declaration. This is to crack down on incidents involving misleading identification. For example, from October to December 2007, approximately 1517 cases were reported of individuals who falsely identified themselves at land and sea border junctions.

Beginning January 31st 2008, documents that prove citizenship and identity will be required.

Those Canadian and U.S. citizens seeking entry into the Unites States by land or water will have to follow these requirements:

  • Canadian or U.S. Citizens ages 19+ must present a government issued photo ID (driver’s license, passport) along with proof of citizenship (birth certificate, naturalization certificate)
  • Children ages 18 and under must give proof of citizenship (i.e. birth certificate)

Passports will continue to be accepted at these borders.

Additionally, traveller program cards like NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST will continue to be accepted. These programs offer a”quick pass” type of card that allows travellers who are low-risk frequent travellers to be “pre-approved” to clear the border at the United States and Canada.

Canada and US border

Today's Top Articles:

Scroll to Top