It came as no surprise to New Yorkers in 2009 when one TV golf analyst announced: “New York State has more beautiful golf courses than any other spot on earth.”
Golf getaways in New York just got easier with the New York Golf Trail, offering affordable golf packages complete with convenient hotel accommodations to suit your budget.
The New York Golf Trail (www.nygolftrail.com) was established with this in mind and trail courses are clustered in and around five of the state’s most well-known and popular destinations:
- Saratoga, with its famed racetrack, lively Broadway Avenue and Saratoga National Golf Club, ranked by Golf Digest as one of America’s Top 100 public courses. Saratoga is the August place to be!
- Lake Placid, offering visitors year-round Olympic experiences like bobsledding, as well as the majestic Adirondack mountains, a bustling Main Street with shopping and restaurants and great golfing on courses like the Whiteface Club & Resort on Mirror Lake.
- Cooperstown, home to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum and the prestigious Leatherstocking Golf Course on Otesaga Lake, voted 55th Best Golf Resort in the US by readers of Condé Nast Traveler Magazine.
- The Finger Lakes, boasting hundreds of wineries, numerous scenic drives and championship courses, including the renowned Bristol Harbour Resort overlooking Canandaigua Lake. The course record belongs to Jack Nicklaus.
- The Lower Adirondacks, with charming towns like Old Forge and Hamilton (home to Colgate University and its Seven Oaks Golf Club) and the only Nicklaus Design golf course in upstate New York, Timber Banks Golf Course.
The northeast’s most scenic golf trail includes 14 courses in all, including classic layouts by some of the game’s greatest designers-Robert Trent Jones, Donald Ross and Seymour Dunn. Their innovative designs offer novices and pros alike a rewarding day on the course amid spectacular settings. Cedar-lined fairways, majestic pines, gorgeous lakes and abundant wildlife make New York a golfer’s paradise.
For more, go to www.nygolftrail.com.